I’m sure many of you have heard the quote “laughter is the best medicine”. Whether or not you believe that it cures all, it definitely helped me through the rough patches of 2018. My old roommates and I would initiate a “5 things that made me chuckle” circle at the end of each week (maybe the end of the day? I forget), and it was a great tool for reflection and positivity. Here are some things that made me chuckle this year.
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off- I watched this movie for the first time this year…Ferris’s personality and childish antics killed me.
- Noah Centineo’s tweets (@noahcent)- Unfortunately, the beautiful Peter Kavinsky of To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, does not have beautiful tweets. They’re more sad boi/ I’m trying to not “lose my soul” in Hollywood tweets. A couple of my favorites: “If you can get me out of my feels then you’ll have me in my feels forever” and ‘”Can I sit here? No sorry, I’m in Love” -Sarah Bahbah’. Incredible.
- A Simple Favor– Described as a “black comedy”, a mommy blogger named Stephanie (Anna Kendrick) is enthralled by glamorous Emily (Blake Lively) and they hang out for like a day and become BFFs. Then Emily goes missing and the plot gets crazier and the dialogue gets funnier and you are left shocked and appalled that this script succeeded through the pitching phase.
- The Yee Haw meme- 🤠🤠🤠 Enough said.
- Elon Musk- Started dating emo singer Grimes. Smoked a blunt live. What more does it take to chuckle at a tech billionaire?
- The Show Ponies- Okay so, long story short, my friends and I went to a Mowgli’s concert and The Show Ponies were their opening act. We didn’t know what we were in for- and chuckled at the folksy-bluegrass (🤠) music. Also, it was their last show which was kind of sad. (No hate to The Show Ponies + fans, just not my thing)
- Mark Zuckerberg’s testimony- Obviously, selling data is horrible and all, but the questions that Congress asked were ridiculous, i.e. asking how Facebook made money, bringing up floppy disks, “is Twitter the same as what you do?”, etc. Comedy gold for us, and gold for Mark as he realized most of Congress doesn’t understand how the Internet works and he can still get away with a lot.
- Riverdale- Every small town has big secrets, and this goes for Riverdale as well. Add in a groovy diner, characters named Jughead who say things like “I’m a weirdo. I don’t fit in, and I don’t want to fit in…” and weird parent-child dynamics, and this show is a perfect recipe for guffaws.
- @OverheardLA- This Instagram/Twitter account will make me laugh any year, but 2018 especially since I was away from LA most of the year for school. Overheard conversations about veganism, crystals, oat milk, and the new coffee shop in Silverlake with $8 matcha lattes in the best city in the world garnered both laughter and homesickness.
- Realizing a lot of people still listen to One Direction- Mostly from looking at people’s Spotifys’. And also realizing you still remember most of the lyrics to their songs too. #NeverForget
As you can see, many of these are pop culture/ media based but I can assure you my family and friends are comedic as well. I hope some of these made you look back at 2018’s absurdities and chuckle as much as I did!